Misconceptions About Pitti
I’m in Florence covering Pitti Uomo for Styleforum. The show has become notorious; a bete noire for some and a city upon a hill for others. Everyone seems to have a strong opinion about Pitti, despite the fact that few of the people who talk about it online have ever been. This is my second time going, so I thought I would clear up some misperceptions you might have based on the photos you see on Tumblr.
Myth #1: It’s at Pitti. The Pitti Palace is a gorgeous old Medici palace south of the Arno, with gardens that overlook Florence. Pitti Uomo does not happen there. It’s at the Fortezza da Basso, on the other side of the Arno, constructed by the Medicis in the 16th century as a fortification and now serving as a sort of convention center.
Myth #2: Most of the attendees are bloggers. There are some bloggers there, and they take pictures of people near the entrance as they come in. But most of the over 20,000 attendees are here to do business. They’re representing either a brand that’s selling or a store that’s buying.
Myth #3: The Italians are the best-dressed guys here. The Asian dudes are the best-dressed guys on average. The modal Asian guy is wearing an Orazio Luciano suit and some bespoke Japanese footwear. They almost all look nice.
Myth #4: Everybody dresses like a jackass. Some people dress like clowns. They’re mostly brand reps dressed up that way just to get some attention. But even so, maybe one person in twenty is dressed in something punchable. Most of the rest are quite well dressed, with a minority in ill-fitting mallwear.
Myth #5: There are no women. There aren’t that many women that work in the menswear industry, but there are certainly a few, and the ones I know are excellent at their jobs. Also, many of the brands hire models to work their booths for obvious reasons. This is the best thing about coming to Pitti.
Every once in a while I see some article designed to be a feel-good piece for non-model females about how all the photos you see in magazines are touched up, and without the airbrushing and makeup the women in the photos look just like anyone else.
This is bullshit. The truth is they’re just actually that beautiful. No myth-making required.
- asimovsintax likes this
- rchd112 likes this
- johnofgaunt likes this
- pipobert likes this
- hazel likes this
- filippobologni likes this
- konkurrens likes this
- rgonzalezchavelas reblogged this from ivorytowerstyle
- tangodancingphdcandidate reblogged this from whentowear and added:
- thepreppygoon likes this
- whentowear reblogged this from ivorytowerstyle
- humblegentleman likes this
- empirestateofmind likes this
- jhilla likes this
- twuisang likes this
- kisforkiyo likes this
- brokeandbespoke likes this
- unvariax likes this
- nomanwalksalone likes this
- inscener likes this
- distractibleme likes this
- black-leather-boyfriend reblogged this from ivorytowerstyle
- asianafro likes this
- nashvillewhoring likes this
- eojt reblogged this from ivorytowerstyle
- gentlemensfootwear said: Myth buster! Wish we had chance to meet! Def more biz talk than anything else @ pitti
- someonetoldmeabout likes this
- edwinzee likes this
- corampopuloxxi reblogged this from ivorytowerstyle
- superdanger-us likes this
- drivingincarswithpocketsquares likes this
- suavebynature likes this
- dieworkwear likes this
- micronhero likes this
- beckettrobb likes this
- thisfits likes this
- unclebeebo likes this
- gentlemensfootwear likes this
- fromsqualortoballer likes this
- thelanguorofyouth reblogged this from ivorytowerstyle
- wellwornwornwell likes this
- beautynorder reblogged this from ivorytowerstyle
- beautynorder likes this
- breathnaigh likes this
- ivorytowerstyle posted this